Walnut and Beetroot Homemade Bread
Start your morning with a healthier toast full of fibre, healthy fats, extra protein, folic acid and other nutrients.
It can be topped up with avocados and poached eggs OR goats cheese and rocket OR soft cheese and parma ham OR anything else you’d like.
Use it for a healthier lunch sandwiches or as a plain toast with your soup.
Ingredients (Makes a large loaf):
200g roughly chopped walnuts
2 medium raw beetroots
1 medium cooked beetroot
1/3 glass of kefir or buttermilk
1 small glass of warm water
1 tsp sugar
1 sachet (5g) of activated yeast
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp salt
300g all-purpose flour
150g wholemeal flour
*Soft goats cheese (optional)
- Cut beetroot (raw and cooked) into small pieces and blend until smooth, add kefir or butter milk. Mix well until fully combined.
- Dissolve sugar in a glass of warm water, mix, then add yeast. Leave until activated (about 5-10 mins)
- In a big bowl – mix flour and salt.
- Add activated yeast mixture, beetroot mixture, 150g walnuts and olive oil.
- Mix with a stand mixer using dough attachment until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Once fully combined leave to rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours.
- Place parchment paper on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and spread some semolina flour
- Take the dough, knead with your hands a little, form a big loaf
- Place on parchment paper and leave for another 30 mins to rise
- Make swirls with soft goats cheese (optional)
- Sprinkle with left over walnuts (approx 50g)
- Bake at 180-190C for 30-40 mins
Jelena Iljuhhina, @TheFoodDNA